Dial 999 when there is an emergency - Police, Fire or Ambulance

Age UK Bristol Help and advice for Senior Citizens. Telephone 0117 929 7537 Mon-Fri 9-5 (closed 1-2) Website

Bicycle Registration To protect push bikes from theft and to report if taken. Website

Bristol City Council An amazing number of services! Telephone 0117 977 1326 Website

Carers (UK) Provides extensive support for Carers and information on claiming a Carer's Allowance. Telephone 020 7358 4999 Website

Citizens Advice Bureau Currently only advice over the telephone. Telephone 0808 278 7957 Textphone (for the hard of hearing) 0800 144 8884 Website

Drivers - Medical Queries To check if a medical condition will affect your driving status, contact DVLA Medical Enquiries on 0300 760 6806 Mon-Fri 8am-7pm, Sat 8am-2pm. Website

Fire Service Avon Fire and Rescue Service arrange free ‘Home Fire Safety Visits’ for vulnerable people. Telephone 0117 926 2061 Website Advice includes - check regularly that your Smoke Detector is working (and not disconnected!)

Fraud and Cybercrime ActionFraud is the UK’s national fraud and cybercrime recording centre and it is important to report instances to them on 0300 123 2040 Mon-Fri 8am-8pm Website

Motor Insurance Database If your car is not on the database, you are not insured. Website

NHS - National Health Service Telephone 111 for non-urgent medical advice. The website provides a ‘Health A-Z’ which lists symptoms, conditions, medicines and treatments, and provides access to other NHS services. Website www.nhs/uk
For concerns about mental health visit

Police For emergencies, ring 999. For non-emergency calls, ring 101, our police area is Henleaze; there can be a long delay so use the website, search for Henleaze or ‘Report a crime or incident form’. Website
1 Southmead Police Station is in Westgate House, on the left-hand side of the Southmead Road entrance to Southmead Hospital. Enquiry office hours are Mon-Fri 8am-6pm.
2 Crimestoppers A crime or incident can be reported anonymously by ringing 24/7 0800 555 111 or by filling in a form online. Website

Property Registration Valuable items can be registered for free on the Immobilise National Property Register enabling stolen items to be identified and returned. Website

Samaritans Whatever you are going through, call the Samaritans free, any time, from any phone, on 116 123. The Samaritans seek to provide help to people who are dealing with every kind of problem, illness, trauma or loss as they try to cope with their difficulties. More information on the Website

Victim Support Support is provided 24/7 on a free confidential support line 0808 1689 111 Website

Travel Abroad

For general advice visit

Rules when travelling to the EU have changed:

  1. Check your passport is still valid:
  2. You need a valid Global Health Insurance Card (GHIC) or in-date European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) to cover you if you need medical treatment.
  3. You have the correct driving documentation for your destination:
  4. You have the right documentation if you are travelling with your dog, cat or ferret: Pet travel checklist - PT45